(Guest writer: Gourav Khanna)
The popularity curve of both of these web development platforms i.e. Shopify and WordPress are almost the same. With their mind-blowing features, reputation, flexibility and benefits, both are shining in the ecommerce website development space.
If you already have a WordPress website ready for your online store, then it could be a great idea to move forward with this CMS. On top of that, optimizing WordPress for eCommerce is relatively less time consuming.
On the other hand, Shopify is outstanding for those who don’t have an ecommerce website yet and are looking for a dedicated solution. It comes with a tonne of advanced features to make your life easier.
Let’s dive deep into the details to help you understand a fair comparison so that you can make a smart decision in 2021.
Overview of Shopify Vs WordPress
Both are the best platforms in their own parameters irrespective of features, pros, cons, and advantages. But to make the most of any of these platforms, you have to analyze and consider many factors like scale of application and technical complexity.
Both Shopify and WordPress are big players in the CMS world. Let’s explore more.
More than just an easy eCommerce store builder, Shopify is a closed source with an amazing range of features and hosted approach that is simple and has a distinctive way of designing an e-commerce website. It handles and manages everything for you so that you can run your store hassle-free. All you need to do is set up your account with signup formalities, and then you’re all set to add or sell products.
One interesting fact that makes Shopify a perfect choice for ecommerce websites is its full customization ability by which you can edit the HTML and CSS code of your website. With a brief coding skills, you can fully customize your stores more extensively as per your needs.
WordPress is one of the popular website-building software that you can install into your web server. It is an extremely flexible platform that’s easy to use if you have coding skills. Many of us believe that WordPress is free of cost; yes, it’s true. But it’s a half-truth!
There are some additional costs for hosting solutions and other features or plugins that you cannot ever overlook.
One interesting thing about WordPress is it comes with access to amazing WordPress plugins and tools that make your eCommerce site or store’s checkout process or storefront easily navigable and accessible.
Features of ecommerce platforms
- Mobile-Responsive Themes: Shopify has mobile-responsive themes, ten free themes, and 64 premium themes. The benefit of themes is you can automatically design your site according to screen preferences and other prerequisites. In addition, different themes will make your eCommerce store look spectacular and professionally designed.
- Best Analytics: Shopify offers an abundance of built-in analytics features that can help you to keep track of your eCommerce site. You can track customer behaviour, total sales, average order value, stock levels, and conversion tracking. This way, you’ll have a complete understanding of how your business is running and whether it needs any optimizations for better results or not!
- Robust and scalable: Shopify will take care of the e-commerce site owner’s realistic needs to take the business to the next level. Built with security in mind, this platform will effectively handle sudden traffic spurts or increasing traffic over time.
- In-House App Store: Shopify has an in-house app that contains over 1200 plugins. It simply means you can use these apps and plugins to automate and streamline your site to make it run faster while also enhancing the efficiency of other processes of your business management like accounting and shipping.
- Better Security: Shopify understands that customers no longer want to wait to complete a transaction or load a site’s page. Therefore, it provides 100% SSL to make ecommerce sites work fast and secure. Also, as customers pay via different payment gateways such as credit cards, it takes responsibility to keep their data safe. It hires cybersecurity experts to keep its website hack-proof so that it can keep checkouts fast and secure customer’s confidential information.
- Free and Open Source: WordPress is a free and open-source platform. It has become a perfect choice for startups and small businesses to create an online selling platform. Only a few of its extensions for site management are payable. Rest, with brief knowledge about the programming, you can easily set it up and use it.
- 100% Customizable: The freedom to choose your favourable design and theme is what makes it a 100% customizable and professional choice for an eCommerce site. WordPress is filled with tons of features and a choice of Millions of website owners. Based on your choice and preference, you can design a header, footer, checkout page, product pages, and much more.
- Flexible Inventory Management: The highly rich and intuitive user interface will help you create, add, and manage your product and inventory in real-time. By regularly keeping track of what product your eCommerce store needs and what is under stock, you can manage inventory quite well.
- Uncompromised Cybersecurity: With the number of cyber threats increasing day by day, hackers are coming up with more sophisticated methods to steal your valuable data of your and your valuable users. WordPress prioritizes privacy and protection in each of the activities users perform after visiting a site. It creates a secure environment for them to help your eCommerce site stay ahead of security issues.
The WordPress security team, in collaboration with the WordPress Core Leadership Team and backed by the WordPress global community, works to identify and resolve security issues in the core software available for distribution and installation at WordPress.org.
- Loads of Extensions: To boost customer experience, you may require additional features and functionalities to satisfy them with their purchase. WordPress has a tonne of beautiful extensions, paid or free, that you can choose to give your eCommerce site a new look and your potential users a great customer experience.
- SEO Capabilities: SEO is very important for an eCommerce site to help it achieve the top spot in the SERPs. A big thanks to WordPress’s useful SEO capabilities that are not challenging anymore and can perform well in optimizing your site speed and boost traffic. With amazing plugins and extensions such as Yoast, you can boost your site speed and make SEO a simple yet easy job.
Pros of Shopify
- Easy to setup & use
- No tech or any programming related worries
- 24/7 support
- Highly customizable
- Marketing tools
- Easy Abandoned cart recovery
- Dozens of superb payment gateways
Pros of WordPress
- Easy management from any device
- SEO friendly
- No HTML editing required
- Easy to use
- 100% customizable
- Best-in-quality plugins to extend the functionality of the site
- Best to set up multiple users
- Provides full control on your site
Cons of Shopify
- Customization limitations
- Difficult learning curve
- Time consuming product filtering and categorization
- Lack of email hosting facility
Cons of WordPress
- Lacks in many advanced features
- The time-consuming frequent update process
- Difficult for beginners to learn
- Multiple performance glitches
Which one is better?
So, after reading the article, you may well conclude which one is better for your Ecommerce website. Though it’s quite difficult to say which one is best over another, if you have outlined your eCommerce site’s goals for what you want to create and achieve from it, you may quickly make a wise decision. We hope this article has given you a clearer view of each platform, and you can quickly design your ecommerce site in no time.
Rest, if you need any help related to Shopify or wordpress designing, you can consult the best website developers. With their knowledge and understanding, they’ll enlighten your way to choose the best platform and help you design a stunning and scalable website.
Editor’s note: This article is written by Gourav Khanna for Hongkiat. Gourav is technical writer, at APPWRK IT Solutions (P) Ltd., a firm that delivers intelligent web development , mobile app development , UX/UI design and digital marketing for all size companies, turning boring brands into game-changing industry leaders that get people talking. He makes this happen with his top notch writing strategy skills that cuts through the noise, backed by sharp thinking.
The post Shopify vs WordPress – Which is Best for e-commerce in 2021? appeared first on Hongkiat.WordPress Website Development